Thursday 9 May 2013

The Joy of Being a E.M.


 
Several years ago our parish priest appealed for volunteers to become Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, better known as Eucharistic Ministers (EMs). I remember thinking ‘absolutely no way!’ Taking Holy Communion to the sick and housebound, offering it during mass - even approaching the Tabernacle - was way beyond my comfort level.
If I had to suggest a possible candidate, I’d have said someone who attended daily mass, went to weekly confession, frequented Eucharistic adoration as much as possible. Someone who knew the words (and the tune) to Tantum Ergo, lit lots of candles, used holy water and the other sacramentals, had read all of the Encyclicals, the Constitutions of Vatican II, knew the Catechism back to front - and had calluses on both knees from hours spent in prayer...

So when a new parish priest asked me the same question just over a year ago, I had my answer ready: “I’m afraid not. I’m really not holy enough, Father.” (And, to be frank, I’m much more comfortable being an observer, not a participant, sitting in my pew near the back of the church).
I didn’t expect his reply. “No one is. We’re none of us worthy. Think how I feel - and I say mass.”

Well...this was not what I was expecting. Parish priests make mild enquiries, and then they half expect to be gently rebuffed. They certainly do not behave like recruiting sergeants. Before I came to my senses, my wife and I were both signed up to the next EM training class.
I was reflecting on that today, on my reluctant conscription, just 15 months ago.

I don’t think you can be a EM and be unaffected. The God who humbled himself to become a tiny wafer of bread inspires increasing awe, gratitude, reverence, devotion, even joy. You certainly think more about purity and respect, but the sense of unworthiness is balanced by the opportunity to demonstrate love through service. There is a real danger of imperceptibly becoming a different - and hopefully a better - person, through association or grace, rather than through effort.   
Deo gratias!        
  

No comments:

Post a Comment