Thursday 26 September 2013

Funny-peculiar Dreams...and this one takes the cake!

Quite often I dream, usually in colour and with sound - no TV license required! Recently, I had a particularly vivid dream and my wife insisted that I record it (she also dreams but in monochrome and with little subsequent recall).

It began with a scene in a lodging house, somewhere in South London, where I had a room, typical student accommodation. I remember that I had just written an analysis of tropical storms in Asia, full of graphs and tables, and was vainly attempting to show it to a colleague (who was unimpressed). 
A youth whom I knew from many, many years ago at school, someone who was in the same year class but to whom I was not particularly close, appeared at my elbow. I recognised him immediately as he had not aged. He suggested we go to the pub for a drink.

I vividly remember the route to the pub. From the apartment house we crossed a busy road, using an underground pass. We emerged from the pass and entered a huge complex of offices, pubs and restaurants. Taking two separate escalators, we went up several levels before we entered the pub.
I recall little about the pub, what we drank or what we talked about. I do remember deciding to leave – and discovering that my wallet and credit cards had been stolen, my friend had also vanished and the pub was now deserted. Cue unease and the beginnings of panic.

As I headed for the entrance to the building complex, there was another frightening discovery; the escalators had disappeared and been replaced with a mountainside covered with large boulders and scree. So I was forced to scramble down, dislodging heavy boulders all the way, but made it safely to the bottom.
It was quite dark now and I remember rationalising that, in order to return to my lodging, all I needed to do was to walk all the way around the huge complex of offices and restaurants until I reached the underpass, then I could cross under the busy road and return home.

Some hope!
Turning right, I shortly passed a church on my right hand side, looking rather like the St Martin-in-the-Fields Church that is in Trafalgar Square, London. Outside it, many people were lying on the cold pavement, covered with blankets and coats, trying to sleep. Intuition told me that they were immigrants and I heard a voice intone something about my ‘mission.’

Immediately after, another scene appeared, also to my right. This time it was a Roman cemetery. There were lots of gravestones and funeral statuary – in the form of Roman soldiers in uniform, but none of the statues were intact; many were headless, were missing limbs or other parts of the body. They certainly looked ancient, covered with mud, creepers, dust and slime - all rather B-film.
At this point I hitched a lift, jumping into the back of a passing dumper lorry. Already standing in the back was an ancient navvy figure who grunted a welcome. As we sped along I realised that we were leaving the office complex and I asked the navvy to let me off. He repeated my request to the driver who lowered the height of the truck and I was able to step off easily.

Fortunately, this was opposite the underground pass and I was soon back in my lodgings.
Rationalising the experience, the vast majority of it comes from my subconscious. I’ve lived in student lodgings for several years, including in South London. I’ve experienced many typhoons over the years in Hong Kong - and have begun to work with the homeless during the last couple of winters. Even the Roman soldiers can be explained by an addiction to watching the ‘Time Team’ archaeology TV series. But I’ve never hitched a ride on a dumper lorry - although I worked briefly as a builder’s labourer during one college vacation.

Isn't life strange? 

No comments:

Post a Comment